Wanna know

October 12, 2012

Asking God for something

“What did you ask for from the God?” Someone asked outside the temple. It made me think of all those things that I used to ask for. I had asked to come first in the class when I was in IX standard. Long hair, selection in entrance exam, a 'yes' and many such things that I would ask for and promise to come back to the same temple and offer 'prasad'.
Then, there was a time, when I stopped asking such things but for one: that May God not let me do anything wrong and that I do all right to everyone. I was afraid to be wrong and do incorrect. However, some of my life experiences later changed my perspective. It was Okay to ‘not know’, it was Okay to ‘do wrong’, it was Okay for others to not know and do wrongs.

So then to ask from God, I had ‘Peace of mind’, ‘Happiness’ and ‘Courage to face the adversities’. With time, even the need to ask these things got dissolved. I realized that there are phases of happiness and sadness, fortunes and misfortunes in our life. I stopped asking anything for me. Asking for any other person would still mean some thing for me as I would be related and concerned for him or her. Okay, so then I decided I would not ask for anything for me or anyone related to me, for it did not make any sense to me. 

I did not become atheist. I go to temples and bow my head to the supreme authority. I do thank God, for all the goodness in my life. But I withdraw from asking anything, from being demanding. What to ask? What more to ask? Why to ask? Let me be appreciative of what is given. Life is not fair but still good!!



My sister in law said, “if we do not ask our own God then whom will we ask from?” I would like to agree, when there is God, the mighty God and you have faith and believe in his power, why not hope and expect from him.  When you feel good about yourself and when you deserve something, why not ask for something? Why not be demanding? Unless you desire or ask for something how would you get it? You get what you desire! Why to feel contended? Why not aspire more? Why not aspire more for yourself as well as others? Unless you have more, how would you spend more, give more, contribute more.  Asking from God would not mean that you stop working for it; that you sit and wait for it to happen to you. 

I wonder what stops me and many others from desiring and asking from God. Does that mean we are arrogant or do not need his blessings? Or we are independent and self sufficient? Or that we are moving towards higher level on Maslow’s need hierarchy? Don’t know, but we are still living in the real world, struggling with the real issues, wanting to get better, do better and have better. Is it somewhere the element of ‘non attachment’ in us? That although we would keep on wanting and working to get more and better but not attach ourselves to those things, people and feelings? Isn’t attachment with things and people and oneself that makes us ask for something?

3 comments:

  1. Could"nt agree more.. The feeling of non-attachment dawns upon you at some point in your life. As they say, change is the only constant in life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful, I fully appreciate and endorse these views, which I find complete unto itself, and there is nothing which I feel missing or needs to be added up !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Had the following conversation with my daughter, Fionaa:
    F: mujhe pooja karni hai!(I wanna do Pooja)
    Mom: ok. So close your eyes and sit 'alti palti' and rehearse 'ohm namo shivay'
    She sincerely did that. Although after some times she rather singing and then finished!
    Mom: so what did you ask for from God?
    F: What? Why? kuch mangna tha kya bhagwan sei? (Did I have to ask for something?

    It made me wonder again, when and how we develop this habit of asking!!!

    ReplyDelete