Wanna know

October 9, 2020

That I'll never forget her!

 


I've been blessed to spend many summers with my great-grandmother while I would not meet a lot of people since I'd come to India only for a few days in a year.  She was definitely the one who's made a big difference in my life, despite a huge generation gap and infrequent calls. She was the lady they talk about in movies. Much more than that. She was always such a delight to spend time with. As kids we'd spend time in her room which was right next to the entrance, listening to beautiful stories she would share with us. When my brother and I would run around the house, she'd tell us how much she loved the bond between us and told us about her relationship with her brother. The best part would be how we'd run to fill Dadisa's प्याली from which she drank water. There were times when I'd not understand what she said in Marwari, but there were also times where she was reading me English words written in Hindi which we did not even realize for a while😂

There's so much I've learned from her, for she was so loving, yet bold and strict. She'd always narrate her experiences, but none of them were ever even slightly close to boring. I'd love listening to her. 

Every time my back would hurt or my ankle pain as my excuse to not do something, she was the one who walked around despite suffering from paralysis. 

She told us about the most important decisions she'd taken and advised us how to deal with various types of people we will definitely come across in our lives. Her energy was such that it filled me only confidence and confidence but nothing else. She filled me with the strength to make mistakes and get up. 

She was the most religious person I have known in my entire family. She was definitely the person who convinced us to believe in the faith honestly, with practical reasons.  It is inspiring and heart touching that she donated her body and her money and most importantly her knowledge. That she was the most thoughtful person I've known in these 20 years. That I'll never forget what she taught me. That I'll never forget her.


Pankhuri Bhandari

2 comments:

  1. Pankhuri superb. You have described Dadisa's interaction with you in beautiful words, specially in the end you mentioned that she had donated her body, money and knowledge is very touching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sweet of the sweet damsel to reminisce & recall the great grandma.

    I find that the grannies feel happy & comforted when they see the tender toddlers,hear them & chat with them.


    Actually this is what they long for & this is what we can give back to them - comforting them by merely finding time for them!

    RKJain

    ReplyDelete